How to Pray for Suffering Partners
There are many places in the Live Global world where our precious partners are suffering. How should we respond? How can we pray for suffering partners?
A Biblical View of Persecution
The first thing we can do is make sure we have a Biblical view of persecution.
- John 15:18-27 – Suffering and even persecution are essential elements of the Christian life.
- 2 Peter 2:21 – Persecution is a universal Christian calling.
- 2 Timothy 3:12 – Persecution is the mark of a Godly life.
- Matthew 5:10-11 – Those who are persecuted will “flourish” (often translated “blessed”).
3 Ways to Pray for the Persecuted
- Pray for Strength and boldness with wisdom: (Matthew 10:19,20; Ephesians 6:19-20; Nehemiah 8:10)
- Pray that in times of weakness, doubt and fear, that they would remember: His grace is sufficient, His power is perfected in weakness, and there is contentment for the sake of Christ in all these things listed in the following verses. (2 Corinthians 12:8-10)
- Pray that their suffering would lead them to rely more on God: (2 Corinthians 1:7-9)
Is it wrong to pray for deliverance? Certainly not. Jesus prayed In Matthew 26:39, “My Father, if it is possible let this cup pass from me…” But we know He also prayed “Yet not my will, but yours be done.”
A Model Prayer in Every Moment
Finally, the model prayer Jesus gave his disciples is universally applicable in all situations. (Matthew 6:9-13)
Our Father, these are our brothers and sisters. May Your name be hallowed, holy, set apart, and glorified. May Your kingdom come and Your will be done, exactly as You have conceived it and determined it. Meet the daily needs of our brothers and sisters – and help us all to forgive even our tormenters as You have forgiven us. Keep us all from stumbling into wicked schemes. Deliver us from evil intended to stop the Gospel, for Yours is the glory Lord, forever.Amen.